MedMem is a senior capstone project intended to help individuals with medical memory loss manage their medications independently. Our team addressed this problem using a human-centered design approach with a focus on three phases of the design process: user research, ideation, and prototyping.

To ensure that we maintained a deep understanding of our user groups, we focused heavily on user research throughout our project. We began with a literature review to frame our understanding of memory loss and medication adherence. We then ventured into the field and conducted four foundational interviews with five members of our target audience: one doctor, one Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) patient and caregiver team, and one Dementia patient and caregiver team. These interviews gave us further insights about the difficulties of managing medications and allowed us to truly empathize with our users.

After performing thorough user research, we began brainstorming design solutions. Each team member generated numerous sketches outlining features of potential products. The team then came together and compiled ideas. In the end, we decided on a three prong approach to medication management. This included customizable pill boxes, a portable reminder system, and a notebook for recording important medical information.

During the final phase of our project, we made our ideas tangible by creating a series of prototypes. This allowed us to both evaluate the feasibility of our design and help users visualize our product. Over a four week period, we were able to experiment with rapid prototypes, collect user feedback, generate refined digital models and build a set of refined conceptual prototypes.

The final product utilized a variety of prototyping techniques and materials that created the illusion of a functioning system. Overall, our prototypes effectively demonstrated the purpose of our designs and the importance of the MedMem system as a tool for medication management.

User Research

For the first phase of our project, our team conducted user research to ensure that all design decisions would be grounded in facts rather than assumptions. Throughout the course of our research, we created three notable artifacts: an annotated bibliography, notes from interviews and a collection of user personas. Annotated Bibliography Entering a broad and … Continue reading User Research


After conducting user research and coding our data for themes through affinity diagramming, our team moved into the ideation phase of our project. The purpose of ideation was to generate a promising design that could be built in full during our prototyping phase. Four artifacts were created during ideation: a list of design requirments, a … Continue reading Ideation


After selecting a final design and clearly sketching it out on paper, it was time to make our ideas tangible. Prototyping allowed us to put our product in the hands of our users as we gathered feedback. We were able to test the feasibility of different form factors, pill box connecting materials, light sources and … Continue reading Prototyping